Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Love to End Pollution

I was reading this post on Mom's Clean Air Force and it really made me pause and reflect on my role as a mother.  In my mind, I feel that a mother's love can do anything. It's like kryptonite to all the troubles of this world. I love my two daughters to the ends of the universe and back and I never doubt the fact that I am a great mom. However, like most parents, I feel that there is always room for improvement. I question the food choices I make for them, although my 6 year old has enviable eating habits and enjoys fruits and vegetables more than any other 6 year old I've ever met. My 1 year old is on her way to following in her sister's footsteps as her favorite food right now is avocado. I buy organic when necessary and avoid toxic ingredients as much as possible, but am I doing all that I can? Ultimately, I know that God is in control, but to me, that doesn't equate to me not taking responsibility for my actions or for the well-being of my family and community.

When it comes to pollution however, I know I can do better, particularly when it comes to fighting.  Air pollution has serious health consequences for our kids.  Just consider the fact that children living in urban areas, many of whom are minorities, are impacted disproportionately by asthma. With healthcare in the condition that it is, we need to do all we can to stay healthy.  We might tend to believe that as individuals there are limitations to our ability to influence change, and that may be true. The cool thing about a movement however, is that it is made up of individuals all sharing the same goal, uniting to form something bigger than themselves.  That's what is so great about Mom's Clean Air Force.  Regardless of where you're from, what your social or economic status is, or whether you are Democrat or Republican, this group unites all moms (and dads) with the goal of protecting our kids from air pollution.  As the Force says in its mission, "sometimes being a good mom means being an active citizen". I know I can certainly play a larger role in my community to fight against air pollution. I hope you feel the same.

Do you think that being a good mom means being an active citizen, particularly when it comes to matters of public and environmental health?

Do you believe there is more you can do to fight against air pollution?









No comments:

Post a Comment