Thursday, May 24, 2012

My Day at EPA...Baby in Tow


Today I spoke at EPA's Public Hearing in support of their proposed Carbon Pollution Standard. This rule under the Clean Air Act would set limits on how much carbon pollution future power plants can emit (there is still the issue of existing power plants, but the fight isn't over). I hadn't planned on speaking and didn't sign up in advance, but when the opportunity arose, I jumped on it and gave my way more than two cents. I'm so glad that I did. Here are two reasons why: Camille and Ava. My children mean the entire world to me as I'm sure is the case with most parents.  I was prompted by the fact that their generation and generations to come are going to reap the benefits of what we do today, or conversely, suffer the consequences of our inaction. This standard, like the Mercury and Air Toxics Standard is a necessary tool in the fight not only against big polluters, but also in the quest for environmental justice. For so long power plants have been allowed to pollute without limits. Studies show that minorities and underserved urban populations suffer disproportionately from the effects of toxic air in the form of increased incidences of asthma and other respiratory illnesses. In my comments, I discussed this as well as mentioned my husband and brother, urban dwellers who both suffered from severe asthma as children. Ava was right there with me at the mic, and with her big brown expressive eyes gnawing at their souls, they have no choice but to implement this standard (I know a little dramatic, but that's how I do).


The EPA will continue to accept public comments until June 25, 2012.  I hope you'll take a quick moment to submit your comment in support of this standard.


Thanks to Mocha Moms and Moms Clean Air Force for spreading the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment